Friday, September 18, 2009

The Climb of a life time


Last weekend found me at home doing one of the hardest things I have ever done. Our family set off early saturday morning (12 of September) to climb up to Bloomington Lake. It was a gorgeous day, and we were all anxious to get started. My mom and I had wanted to do this hike for quite a while, and me being home for the weekend offered the perfect opportunity!
Little did we know that it would be so hard. The trail went straight up the hill with little shade and areas to rest, it was way over twice as long as we thought it would be and harder than what we were prepared for. But as a family we plunged into it.

With mom's motivational "quotes" and bud's over zealeous energy there was no way that as a team we could fail. It was a really good bonding experience for us, as we each learned to quit grumbling and help eachother up the mountain.

As I was climbing I almost half wondered if that's not an exact comparison of our lives here on earth. Each of us climbing to potentially reach that eternal destination. We were never told it would be easy, only that it would be worth it in the end. And why would we ever want to do it by our selves, when i picture walking in the gates on the other side i would want none more to be with me than the ones i love so much, my family.

Once we finally made it to the top it was breath taking. The valley stretched out below us, and it was So worth it! I am grateful for the moments in my life when God grants me those little "tender mercies".

Emily Zilles

No comments:

Post a Comment